Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. I will only promote products I love and use myself.
Exercise is great, but we’re all busy. I get that. And I totally feel ya. As much as I promote getting just 10-minutes of exercise in a day, and how you don’t have any excuses to NOT get that little workout in…I still make the excuse that I don’t have enough time.
But if you have an active lifestyle, then you don’t necessarily need to “workout” – as in, go to the gym or go for a 3 mile run.
So what in the world does “active lifestyle” mean.
Basically, don’t sit on your butt all day. Get up and move around every hour. And aim for 10,000 or more steps each day.
Once you’ve got those steps down, then you can start adding in some strength-training exercises, like my 10-minute workouts, when you have time. But starting with those 10,000 steps will do your health a world of good!
Here are 10 ways to have a more active lifestyle (and get in those 10,000 steps!):
Side note: Some of these are silly and stupid, but they’ll keep exercise fun 🙂
1. Take the stairs. I know this is the obvious one, but sometimes you need a little reminder to get movin’.
2. Find a parking spot just a little farther away from the front. Slowly park farther and farther away each time and you won’t even notice the difference!
3. Make it a family routine to take a walk after dinner (or before breakfast if you’re a morning person!). If you have dogs, they’ll love it too.
4. Drink more water…it’ll make you get up and go to the bathroom more often.
5. Take clothes to the laundry one basket at a time so you have to make multiple trips.
6. Go for a walk on your lunch break. Find a walking buddy at work to keep you motivated.
7. Set a timer on your phone to remind you to get moving every hour. If you have a FitBit, it will monitor to see if you get at least 250 steps each hour.
8. Crank up the music while you do your cleaning. (Yeah, I just made cleaning AND exercising fun!)
9. Plan “activities” rather than grabbing coffee or going out to dinner – go shopping at the mall, pack a picnic and go to a park, go to the beach, go ice skating, go for a hike.
10. Join Simplifying Nutrition’s Step Challenge. In our Facebook group, we’re having a fun competition to see who can get the most steps in the month of May! (And there will be a special prize at the end for the winner!)
So make sure to join the Facebook group to get in on the Step Challenge!